Campaigning is ASLEF's core activity. Whether we are pressing for improvements in wages or conditions in a single company, arguing for a change in legislation to benefit our members, seeking justice for the underprivileged in this country or the abused abroad - we are on the campaign trail.
ASLEF is a founder member of Action for Rail a joint union campaign for a better future for Britain’s railways. We are also active in the Freight on Rail campaign which works to promote the economic,social and environmental benefits of rail freight. Other key campaigning initiatives currently include improvements to cab conditions, pensions and travel facilities. We try to make our campaigns innovative and eye-catching, and employ a range of tactics from Parliamentary lobbies and public demonstrations, to organisation of seminars and the production of literature. We believe that a union that ceases to campaign ceases to exist: and that any organisation committed to justice and equality will never have to look far for a cause that deserves our support.
- Oppose mega trucks
- On 18th March, a European Parliament vote could allow the increased use of massive trucks, up to 60 tonnes and 82ft long, across the EU.
- Oppose the 4th Railway Package
- On 25-26 Feb, MEPs will be voting on The Fourth Railway Package - a new set of regulations coming out of the European Commission that aims to impose privatisation on domestic rail passenger services in every EU member state. This will make it impossible for any UK government to change our failed privatised model.
- Driver Questionnaire
- RSSB want drivers' views regarding provision of TPWS permanent speed restriction trigger speed information.
- The Shrewsbury 24 Campaign
- Sign the Shrewsbury 24 Campaign petition.
- Demos at Conservative party conference
- Sunday 29 September: NHS Demo and Tuesday 1 Oct: Don't CON-DEM our public transport
- Support the FBU’s campaign against cuts
- The mayor of London, Boris Johnson, has proposed deep cuts in the London Fire Brigade.
- Labour says ‘Save our Daily Postal Delivery’
- Mick Whelan has backed the Labour Party campaign in opposition to government plans to sell off the Royal Mail.
- Austerity uncovered
- Austerity isn't working. In June 2013, the TUC and Britain’s trade unions will be traveling across the country letting people tell their own story about life in Britain today.
- Stop 25m mega-trucks
- Dangerous mega-trucks could create competition for more environmentally-friendly freight-on-rail.