Want to know how to join ASLEF or what you can expect from us when you become a member? Find out below:
What you can expect from ASLEF
When you join ASLEF you gain from our strength and experience. The union offers numerous benefits to members - but it's not all one way: as a democratically run union, we welcome participation from members. Indeed, an active membership is what keeps us strong.
All new members can expect to receive a joining, information pack which includes their union membership badge and card. They also receive a copy of the ASLEF rule book, an ASLEF diary and details of services available to them as members.
What you get
Members of ASLEF are part of a democratically controlled union and can expect equality and fairness along with the rights to:
- receive regular information on ASLEF and its work participate in branch meetings, discussions and educational activities arranged by the Society to ensure the right to freedom of association and trade union activity needs.
- stand for election to any union position subject to the requirements of rules.
- speak and vote on all questions at the branch
- hold to account representatives elected on their behalf.
- raise questions about any matter at their branch.
- a right of appeal if disciplined by the Executive Committee
- expect protection from harassment, sexual or racial abuse
- legal assistance (subject to rule provisions) for accidents at work, injury by accident off duty(including dependants)
- free initial legal advice and other legal services
- distress and hardship benefit
- access to membership services
Who can be a member?
Any person in the line of promotion to train driver or train operator employed by any railway undertaking, a supervisor who has been so employed and staff involved in the operation of trains on light and private railways wishing to become members of this Society are eligible to join ASLEF. We cannot undertake to accept employees not responsible for the operation of trains.
We adopt a 3 Tier Membership Rating according to your grade/seniority.
Payment is via Direct Debit for all new members.
- Scale 1 - For members who are on salaries above £35,900
- Scale 2 - For members who are on salaries between £30,000 and £35,899
- Scale 3 - For members who are on salaries between £19,100 and £29,999
- Scale 4 - For members who are salaries less than £19,100
Why you should join ASLEF?
ASLEF can proudly state that it represents the overwhelming majority of train drivers/operators or associated grades in the country by virtue of its understanding of their particular problems and specialist needs.
If you join ASLEF you will become part of a group of professional workers with a common interest.
- Members of ASLEF are expected to keep the Society up-dated with regard to changes of address, of their name, telephone number, employer, workplace, occupation/grade. All of this information can be vital especially when participating in ballots for industrial action.
- Members should keep the union advised with regard to trade union studies completed and any credits or awards obtained. members should acquaint themselves with the policies of the union.
Request an application form (please provide your name and full address)
Or download the application form to fill in: Application Form 2015