Here you will find the latest ASLEF news articles. Archived articles can be found in the News Archive section in the left hand navigation bar.
You can also find recent issues of the ASLEF Journal and other ASLEF publications in the Publications section.
- Fantastic work of union reps
- 9 Feb 2016This week is Love Unions week. It is also the week the House of Lords starts discussing, in detail, the Tories’ anti-Trade Union Bill.
- ATW action suspended pending ballot
- 9 Feb 2016ASLEF's executive committee today suspended industrial action at Arriva Trains Wales pending the result of a referendum of our members at the company. The EC is recommending members accept the revised package offered by the company.
- Love Unions kicks off
- 8 Feb 2016The Love Unions campaign kicks off today designed to celebrate the achievements of trade unions and raise our profile in the public domain and the workplace; offer an opportunity to promote trade union membership to non-members, and indeed for non-members to seek out trade union reps and find out more about the benefits of trade union membership; and highlight again the spiteful intent and purposes of the Tories’ anti-Trade Union Bill.
- ASLEF backs Kezia's answer to austerity
- 2 Feb 2016ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has backed plans outlined by Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale today to head off proposed cuts by the SNP in Scotland. The SNP government at Holyrood wants to launch a series of brutal cuts which will attack public services throughout Scotland. But that, says Kezia, is not the answer.
- ATW strike suspended
- 26 Jan 2016ASLEF, the train drivers' union, today [Tuesday] announced that, after lengthy negotiations with the company, it is suspending its strike action on Arriva Trains Wales and lifting the overtime ban in force. The matter will now be considered by ASLEF's executive committee when it meets early next month.
- Mick on the Gulliver concept
- 21 Jan 2016Commenting after the publication today [Thursday] of the government's impact assessment on the Trade Union Bill, which reveals that unions and our members will be brutally hit by enormous new bills, Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers' union, said:
- ASLEF and the Night Tube
- 20 Jan 2016Finn Brennan, ASLEF’s organiser for drivers on London Underground, said: ‘I am pleased to say that we have made good progress in talks at ACAS today [Wed]. The negotiating team is now reporting to the ASLEF executive committee with a recommendation that the planned industrial action be suspended. The determination of our members brought London Underground management back to the table. We have dragged them kicking and screaming into the 21st century with an agreement to deliver modern, flexible working patterns for our members and an above inflation pay rise. This demonstrates just what strong, progressive trade unions can deliver in Britain today.’
- ASLEF at ACAS on Night Tube
- 15 Jan 2016Just hours after ASLEF's executive committee announced industrial action on London Underground on Monday, and after two months refusing to negotiate with us, TfL invited ASLEF for talks at ACAS today [Friday]. Finn Brennan, ASLEF’s organiser on London Underground said: ‘We have had useful talks at ACAS today and agreed a programme of meetings for next week. ASLEF has engaged in these talks in a positive spirit and will continue to seek progress.’
- Petition to keep Island Line
- 14 Jan 2016Like many small branch lines, Island Line is currently underwritten by the profitable main commuter routes in the wider franchise. The Government’s plan for it to be self-sustaining puts its future viability at serious risk.
- ATW strike
- 12 Jan 2016ASLEF today announced that, in the light of Arriva Trains Wales' failure to offer a satisfactory resolution to the long and ongoing dispute with its drivers, our members will withdraw their labour for 24 hours on Monday 1 February.