Here you will find the latest ASLEF news articles. Archived articles can be found in the News Archive section in the left hand navigation bar.
You can also find recent issues of the ASLEF Journal and other ASLEF publications in the Publications section.
- Workers' Memorial Day
- 28 Apr 2016ASLEF marked Workers' Memorial Day this morning. Mick Whelan, Tosh McDonald, and Dave Calfe, with colleagues from the RMT and the TSSA, laid a wreath at the tree planted in memory of railway workers, and members of the travelling public, who lost their lives or were injured on Britain's railways.
- Court order
- 25 Apr 2016To comply with Court Order be aware of the following:
- Southern and Gatwick Express ballot
- 8 Apr 2016As a result of a threat to impose 12 car DOO(P) working, without agreement, from 9 April on Gatwick Express, we are to ballot drivers on Southern, and Gatwick Express, for industrial action.
- Support the strikes Join the 16 April demo
- 30 Mar 2016Saturday 16 April 2016. National Demonstration March for Health, Homes, Jobs, Education Assemble: 1pm, Gower Street, London NW1 March to Trafalgar Square
- TPE referendum result
- 30 Mar 2016The result of the Trans Pennine Express referendum has been announced. Do you accept the proposals to end the industrial relations dispute with TPE? Yes: 52. No: 196. Spoilt: 1. Rest day working is not sanctioned beyond today and the EC will consider the result at its April session.
- Sadiq's transport manifesto
- 30 Mar 2016Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers' union, welcomed the launch today of Labour's London mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan's transport policy. Mick said: 'We look forward to working with a Mayor of London who thinks seriously and sensibly about transport in London, on behalf of the passengers who use public transport, and those of us who provide this first class public service.'
- Steve Grant
- 24 Mar 2016It is with great sadness and regret that we have to announce the passing of Steve Grant, former District Organiser for District No.8, who passed away this morning.
- Open letter to Mike Brown
- 23 Mar 2016This is an open letter to Mike Brown, London's Transport Commissioner, from Finn Brennan, ASLEF's organiser on London Underground:
- Mick blasts Carne over Shaw report
- 18 Mar 2016Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train driversí union, has criticised Mark Carne, chief executive of Network Rail, for his inappropriate and partisan response to the Shaw Report.
- ASLEF on Any Questions
- 18 Mar 2016ASLEF's general secretary Mick Whelan is on Radio 4's Any Questions tonight live from Sheffield Cathedral. His co-panellists include Chuka Umunna, Labour MP for Streatham; Nadhim Zahawi, Conservtiave MP for Stratford upon Avon; and Heather McGregor aka Mrs Moneypenny in the Financial Times [a former stockbroker and investment banker]. The 50 minute show is broadcast live tonight from 8pm; repeated tomorrow [Saturday] at 1.10pm followed by Any Answers.