News and Media
News and Media
Here you will find the lastest ASLEF news articles. Archived articles can be found in the News Archive section in the left hand navigation bar.
You can also find recent issues of the ASLEF Journal and other ASLEF publications in the Publications section.
- Woolwich attack: ASLEF statement
- 23 May 2013Mick Whelan, the general secretary of the train drivers’ union ASLEF made this statement on the deaths of an innocent man in a Woolwich street yesterday.
- The fourth day of the ASLEF conference
- 23 May 2013
- The third day of the ASLEF conference
- 22 May 2013
- The second day of the ASLEF conference
- 21 May 2013• Became the first union to back the campaign to retain Scotland in the UK • Heard from the General Secretary of the Scottish TUC • Offered support for the Palestinian people • Discussed domestic abuse by women • Was addressed by the leader of the Scottish Labour Party • Hopped with the Durham miners!
- ASLEF first union to back Scotland in UK
- 21 May 2013ASLEF has become the first trade union to back the ‘No’ campaign in next year’s Scottish independence vote. Delegates at ASLEF’s annual conference in Edinburgh unanimously agreed to campaign for a ‘No’ vote and to affiliate to the ‘Better Together’ campaign.
- The first day of the ASLEF conference
- 20 May 2013
- Floral tributes make news
- 17 May 2013The ASLEF annual conference (AAD), which is being held next week in Edinburgh, will debate a motion calling for ‘floral shrines’ to be taken down because of the distress they can cause drivers. These unofficial memorials, which have also included scarves and soft toys, often appear after deaths and on anniversaries.
- Audit Office has ‘narrow view’ on HS2, says union
- 16 May 2013ASLEF’s general secretary Mick Whelan said today that the National Audit Office was taking a ‘very narrow view’ as it argued that a new high-speed train may not have business benefits. The NAO says it has reservations about how the planned rail link would deliver growth and jobs.
- Pay dispute at DB Tyne and Wear Metro
- 15 May 2013Members of ASLEF and other rail trade unions who work for DB Tyne & Wear Metro are to be balloted for industrial action after pay talks broke down.
- A minister to offer protection from government
- 15 May 2013The appointment of a government minister for poverty in Wales is, ASLEF general secretary Mick Whelan says, ‘a terrible indictment of what the government’s austerity measures are doing to the people of the United Kingdom’.