Here you will find the latest ASLEF news articles. Archived articles can be found in the News Archive section in the left hand navigation bar.
You can also find recent issues of the ASLEF Journal and other ASLEF publications in the Publications section.
- Patrick McLoughlin - papering over the cracks
- 27 Feb 2015Government plans for rail in the north of England are only papering over the cracks in the system and fail to address the real problems clear to everyone who works in the industry, says ASLEF, the train drivers’ union.
- The Great Transport Debate
- 19 Feb 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, will be taking part in a political debate on the 11th March, focusing on the key policies each party is advocating for dealing with our transport needs.
- ASLEF on ORR report into train delays
- 12 Feb 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has spoken out after publication of a report by the Office of Rail Regulation criticised ‘significant weaknesses in the planning and oversight’ of engineering work at King’s Cross and Paddington which led to overruns and delays in December.
- Prime Minister plays Fagin over Pensions
- 11 Feb 2015David Cameron has been accused of playing Fagin with an underhand raid on rail staff pensions, the four rail unions said today. ASLEF, the RMT, the TSSA and Unite issued a combined warning that more than 100,000 staff and pensioners will suffer losses under the proposals from the Tory-Lib Dem coalition.
- ASLEF slams rip off parking charges
- 9 Feb 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has condemned the privatised train companies for driving up the cost of parking for hard-pressed passengers.
- ASLEF welcomes Glasgow cross rail pledge
- 9 Feb 2015ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has welcomed a pledge by Jim Murphy, leader of the Scottish Labour Party, to use the Scottish Parliament’s new borrowing powers to bring forward the ‘missing link’ in Glasgow’s railway infrastructure.
- ASLEF urges rail rethink
- 9 Feb 2015ASLEF has urged David Cameron to reconsider his controversial decision to reprivatise the East Coast main line after the competition watchdog slammed the award to a company co-owned by Stagecoach.
- ASLEF welcomes plan for rail in Wales
- 5 Feb 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has welcomed the announcement by Edwina Hart, Transport Minister in Wales, to have a plan for a not-for-profit railway ready by the summer.
- Train companies treat customers like criminals
- 4 Feb 2015The privatised train operating companies, who last month were accused of treating passengers ‘like sheep to be fleeced’ when fares soared again at the start of the year, have now been accused by the watchdog Passenger Focus of treating commuters like criminals not customers.
- Greek rail privatisation to be reconsidered
- 3 Feb 2015After halting the privatisation of the state-owned power company and the sale of the government’s stake in Piraeus Port Authority, Greece’s newly-elected government has announced that it is to review the country's rail privatisation programme.