Here you will find the latest ASLEF news articles. Archived articles can be found in the News Archive section in the left hand navigation bar.
You can also find recent issues of the ASLEF Journal and other ASLEF publications in the Publications section.
- Transport Poverty
- 9 Dec 2013Mick Whelan has spoken out after new figures revealed that commuters are spending a quarter of their salaries on getting to work. New research by the Hay Group, a management consultancy, shows that workers in Birmingham are parting with 23% of their annual income on travelling by train to their job, and those in London are paying nearly as much.
- Gender stereotyping
- 5 Dec 2013Boots the Chemist are reinforcing gender stereotypes with their range of baby reins: Boys get to drive trains and girls just eat cake... Tell that to our female drivers!
- 5 Dec 2013Mick Whelan has attacked government plans to sell the country’s 40% stake in Eurostar as part of the Conservative-led coalition’s plans to privatise £20 billion worth of public assets by 2020. ‘It’s another government U-turn because coalition ministers have always maintained that our stake in Eurostar would be retained,’ said Mick. ‘It’s not a mistake the French are making.’
- Fares Fair
- 3 Dec 2013When is a fare freeze not a fare freeze? When it’s a Boris Johnson fare freeze! Boom! Boom!
- Railways bring people together
- 28 Nov 2013Tom Burns, an activist in ASLEF's Perth branch, had this to say after the publication of the white paper on Scottish independence:
- Standing Room Only
- 28 Nov 2013Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, says it is ‘laughable’ to suggest introducing third class ‘standing only’ tickets on Britain’s railways.
- White Paper on Scottish Independence
- 26 Nov 2013ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, and the first trade union to back the ʻNo’ campaign, has responded to the publication today of the Scottish government white paper on independence.
- Memorial for 25th Anniversary of the Clapham Junction Rail Crash
- 26 Nov 2013On 12 December a memorial service will mark 25 years since the Clapham Junction Rail Crash that left 35 people dead and hundreds injured.
- Why we welcome the HS2 Bill
- 25 Nov 2013Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, has welcomed the publication this morning of the hybrid High Speed 2 Bill.
- The Enemy Within
- 21 Nov 2013The CWU, NUT and FBU have backed a new film about the miners’ strike, Still the Enemy Within, and pledged to raise support among their members. At a special launch event for the films crowd funding page, Jane Loftus, president of the CWU, explained: ‘This is about solidarity, just like the miners’ strike itself was about solidarity. We need to support this film and get it funded, so we can use it next year to take back our working class history. I ask you to support and donate to this film’.