Here you will find the latest ASLEF news articles. Archived articles can be found in the News Archive section in the left hand navigation bar.
You can also find recent issues of the ASLEF Journal and other ASLEF publications in the Publications section.
- ASLEF call on Lib Dem MPs
- 7 Mar 2014ASLEF and Action for Rail partners were at Peterbrough, Doncaster and other stations along the East Coast Mainline this morning, calling on MPs attending the Lib Dem Spring Conference in York to Keep the East Coast Mainline in public hands and oppose plans to privatise this successful public train company.
- May 22. We vote. We Decide.
- 7 Mar 2014ASLEF and other similar-minded member unions are promoting the launch of UNIONS TOGETHER’s European elections web page today. Visit the website and hear Glenis Willmott MEP on why these elections matter to trade unionists.
- An active day on East Coast Mainline
- 7 Mar 2014EC vice President Tosh McDonald was in York this afternoon where the Lib Dem conference is taking place. He and other activists were there to meet the MPs as they came off their trains, acknowledging the MPs that support keeping the East Coast Mainline public (signed EDM 58 on public ownership), and calling on others to support keeping East Coast public.
- Driverless Trains
- 28 Feb 2014The Financial Times this morning broke the story that Transport for London is about to announce a plan for driverless trains on the London Underground.
- Solidarity with Venezuelan transport workers
- 24 Feb 2014Following reports of extreme right-wing violence against tube and bus workers in Venezuela, ASLEF has signed on to the following message of solidarity with the transport workers’ unions in Venezuela
- 25 Feb Korean Railway Workers strike again
- 19 Feb 2014The Korean Railway Workers' Union (KRWU) staged a 23-day national strike against privatisation last December. Today the struggle continues as the leadership of the union remains in jail; criminal charges have been brought against 191 KRWU members; a lawsuit claiming damages worth 14.3 million USD has been filed against the union, and their bank account is frozen. These are all acts of retaliation by the government and the management, Korail, who are determined to push through planned privatisation programmes.
- Unions welcome Government Backtrack on Pension Proposal
- 13 Feb 2014ASLEF today welcomed the government’s announcement that it will not permit employers to use statutory override to change their pension schemes for members with protected person status. Protected person status was promised to workers by Parliament during privatisations in the 1980s and 1990s and guaranteed pension benefits could not be reduced for those employed at the time. This includes the Railway Pension Scheme.
- Lobbying Law
- 29 Jan 2014ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has condemned the controversial Lobbying Bill which passed the House of Lords by one vote last night.
- East Coast
- 17 Jan 2014Mick Whelan has responded to the publication this morning of the government's preferred bidders for the East Coast main line. Mick said: ‘We are disappointed – but not surprised – that the Conservative-led coalition is rushing to reprivatise the successful, and publicly-owned, East Coast main line before a general election they fear they will lose.
- Fundraiser for Hope not Hate
- 6 Jan 2014ASLEF members in London and the surrounding area are invited to a fundraising dinner on Tuesday 11th February for Hope not Hate, a charitable organisation who campaign against racism and fascism.