Here you will find the latest ASLEF news articles. Archived articles can be found in the News Archive section in the left hand navigation bar.
You can also find recent issues of the ASLEF Journal and other ASLEF publications in the Publications section.
- Quintinshill Rail Disaster: 100 Years On
- 22 May 2015The worst rail crash in this country is remembered today on the centenary of the tragedy. On 22 May 1915 three trains crashed at Quintinshill Bridge near Gretna Green in Dumfriesshire.
- ASLEF to ballot Tube drivers over pay and rosters
- 21 May 2015ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, is to ballot its members on London Underground in a dispute over pay and the company’s decision to try to force through new rosters which would mean Tube drivers will have to work an unlimited number of weekend and night shifts for no extra pay.
- Southern Ballot Update
- 21 May 2015Following constructive talks with Southern management today, (21st May) ASLEF has received an improved pay offer from the train operator. The offer will be put to our membership on Southern as a referendum, with a recommendation of acceptance by ASLEF’s Executive Committee.
- Southern Ballot
- 20 May 2015ASLEF members on Southern have voted overwhelmingly for strike action after rejecting a pay offer from the company.
- Election result: EC member for district 7
- 19 May 2015The position of Executive Committee Member for District No7 has been filled by Bro A Hudd, Bristol Branch. He is duly elected for a four year term of office commencing on 1 January 2016 until 31 December 2019.
- Election result: ASLEF Trustee
- 19 May 2015The position of ASLEF Trustee has been filled by Bro W Goode, Birmingham New Street Branch. His term of office commences on the 6 July 2015.
- Women CAN work in the rail industry
- 18 May 2015Although only 5% of drivers are female, there's no reason why more women shouldn't drive trains, says ASLEF's Collette Gibson, in the Guardian's Women in Leadership column.
- Today at AAD Friday
- 15 May 2015ASLEF’s annual assembly of delegates – our annual conference – is the policy-making parliament of our union. It concluded today, with the singing of the Red Flag, at the Park Inn Palace in Southend-on-Sea.
- Today at AAD Thursday
- 14 May 2015ASLEF’s annual assembly of delegates – our annual conference – is the policy-making parliament of our union. It continued today at the Park Inn Palace in Southend-on-Sea, Essex.
- Today at AAD [Wednesday]
- 13 May 2015ASLEF's annual assembly of delegates - our conference - is our policy making parliament. It continued at the Park Inn Hotel in Southend-on-Sea, Essex, today.