Here you will find the latest ASLEF news articles. Archived articles can be found in the News Archive section in the left hand navigation bar.
You can also find recent issues of the ASLEF Journal and other ASLEF publications in the Publications section.
- Kevin Lindsay puts it on the Record
- 1 May 2015Kevin Lindsay, ASLEF's organiser in Scotland, has written a barnstorming piece for the Daily Record, Scotland's biggest-selling newspaper, today spelling out why Rupert Murdoch is urging readers of the Sun in England to vote Conservative and readers of the Scottish Sun to vote SNP.
- Marching on May Day
- 1 May 2015ASLEF activists from around the country joined national organiser Simon Weller, EC vice-president Dave Calfe, executive committee member Hugh Bradley, and district organisers Finn Brennan, Dicky Fisher, Nigel Gibson and Graham Morris on the traditional May Day march and rally in London. Members met at midday on Clerkenwell Green, an area with strong radical roots – Wat Tyler camped here during the Peasants’ Revolt of 1381 and George Loveless, first of the Tolpuddle Martyrs to return to Britain after transportation to Australia, was welcomed home with a mass meeting on the green in 1838 – and moved off at 1pm, behind a brass band, with activists from many other trade unions as well as workers from other countries, pensioners, students, and anti-globalisation campaigners, through central London to a rally in Trafalgar Square.
- Rail freight will cut road congestion
- 28 Apr 2015Getting more freight onto rail and water could significantly reduce road traffic, improve congestion and be better for the environment, according to new research carried out for Campaign for Better Transport.
- ASLEF drivers think pink
- 28 Apr 2015Today some of ASLEF's female membership who work as tube drivers joined the Labour Party's pink bus on a stop in its tour of London.
- Living standards down under coalition
- 28 Apr 2015Mick Whelan has spoken out after new analysis published today revealed that the Conservative-led coalition has presided over the worst five year period (from 2010 to 2014) for living standards for half a century.
- International Workers' Mermorial Day
- 27 Apr 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has paid tribute to ASLEF’s health and safety reps ahead of International Workers’ Memorial Day tomorrow [Tuesday 28 April].
- Blame Network Rail not train drivers
- 16 Apr 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has made a plea to passengers to blame Network Rail, not drivers, when trains run at 20mph because of ‘too much sun.’
- ASLEF condemns Tory attack on democracy
- 15 Apr 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has condemned Conservative plans, announced in their manifesto, to make it virtually impossible for trade unions in essential services to go on strike.
- ASLEF condemns Tory housing plan
- 14 Apr 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has condemned Conservative plans, announced in their manifesto today, to sell off social housing in this country.
- ASLEF welcomes Ed's pledge
- 13 Apr 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, welcomed the Labour Party manifesto launched by Labour leader Ed Miliband in Manchester today.