Here you will find the latest ASLEF news articles. Archived articles can be found in the News Archive section in the left hand navigation bar.
You can also find recent issues of the ASLEF Journal and other ASLEF publications in the Publications section.
- MPs join ASLEF for Question Time
- 31 Mar 2015A formidable panel - including Diane Abbott, Labour MP for Hackney North & Stoke Newington; Jim Dowd, Labour MP for Lewisham West & Penge; Kevin Maguire, associate editor of the Daily Mirror; and Tosh McDonald, EC president - answered lively questions from a packed audience at Waterloo Nine Elms branch's imaginative Question Time-style meeting at the Horse & Stables in Westminster Bridge Road on Monday afternoon. The meeting was organised by Steve Richardson and chaired by Marz Colombini, snapped here with our guests.
- Action for Rail at Waterloo
- 31 Mar 2015Mick Whelan, ASLEF's general secretary, and Howard Kaye, EC member for District 5, joined activists at Waterloo this morning for an Action for Rail protest telling passengers their season tickets would be 10 per cent cheaper if Britain's railways were brought back into the public sector.
- The UK needs HS2
- 25 Mar 2015The House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee today published a report entitled ‘the Economic Case for HS2’ in which they state that the government has not made a convincing case for building the HS2 link between London and the North. The Committee believes that the government’s arguments in relation to the capacity and regeneration benefits of the line’s construction are not sufficiently proven.
- TfL dresses up bad news as good
- 24 Mar 2015Finn Brennan of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has responded to the announcement today by LUL of investment in four Tube lines.
- Great Western direct award to First Group outrageous
- 23 Mar 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has condemned the direct award of the Great Western franchise by Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin to First Group from September 2015 to March 2019 which has been announced today.
- Northern transport strategy 'blatant electioneering'
- 20 Mar 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has described the ‘revolutionary plans for northern transport’ set out by George Osborne, Nick Clegg, and Patrick McLoughlin today as ‘blatant electioneering.’
- Waterloo Question Time: Is Rail Renationalisation a Vote Winner?
- 20 Mar 2015ASLEF’s Waterloo Nine Elms branch will be hosting an afternoon of topical political discussion on Monday 30 March 16:00 to 18:00
- Take Action for Rail: 31 March
- 20 Mar 2015The next Action for Rail campaign Day of Action will take place on Tuesday 31 March. The purpose of the action is to highlight the case for public ownership of the railways in the run up to the general election.
- ASLEF welcomes SLP opposition to amalgamating BTP with Police Scotland
- 11 Mar 2015ASLEF, the train drivers' union, has welcomed the Scottish Labour Party's decision to oppose the SNP's proposal to amalgamate the British Transport Police force with Police Scotland.
- Women at work: overcoming prejudices
- 9 Mar 2015On International Women’s Day EuroparlTV met ASLEF Women’s Representative Committee member Deborah Reay and two other women working in traditionally male dominated fields to explore whether the world of work treats men and women equally.