Here you will find the latest ASLEF news articles. Archived articles can be found in the News Archive section in the left hand navigation bar.
You can also find recent issues of the ASLEF Journal and other ASLEF publications in the Publications section.
- Mick remembers Ladbroke Grove
- 5 Oct 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, today remembered those who died – and were injured – in the Ladbroke Grove rail crash on 5 October 1999.
- Last day at party conference
- 1 Oct 2015Mick Whelan, ASLEF's general secretary, spoke from the podium on Wednesday morning moving an emergency motion on the peace process in Colombia - an agreement between the government and FARC rebels and the historic handshake in Cuba between President Santos and Timoleon Jimenez.
- Labour conference: Jeremy's pledge on rail
- 30 Sep 2015Jeremy Corbyn has made an unequivocal pledge to bring Britain’s railways back into public ownership.
- Black History Month event
- 30 Sep 2015
- Labour Party conference: Monday
- 29 Sep 2015Mick Whelan welcomed Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and deputy leader Tom Watson to a joint ASLEF/Co-operative Party reception at the Hilton Brighton Metropole on Monday night.
- ASLEF at Labour conference Sunday
- 28 Sep 2015A busy day for ASLEF delegates – Mick Whelan, general secretary; Tosh McDonald, EC president; Graham Ibbetson of Wigan branch; and Alan Moir of Polmadie – at the Labour Party conference in Brighton. As well as attending the plenary sessions in the conference hall, our delegates, and ASLEF activists attending as visitors – Simon Weller, national organiser; executive committee members Marz Colombini and Howard Kaye; district organizer Colin Smith; and Debbie Reay of Northern Line North and Karen Tilley of West London Electric – were busy at a raft of fringe meetings and events arranged in and around the Brighton Centre.
- Brighton rocks for Labour: Saturday
- 27 Sep 2015Brighton is buzzing off the back of Jeremy Corbyn’s election as Labour Party leader. Conference has really come alive with everyone expectant of a great week of discussion, debate and policy making.
- ATW drivers vote to strike
- 24 Sep 2015ASLEF drivers at Arriva Trains Wales have voted overwhelmingly for strike action over pay. 92.1% of our members voted Yes, and 7.9% voted No, on a 78.2% turnout.
- Night Tube 'for the rich'
- 22 Sep 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has responded to a new study by the travel app company MapWay which reveals that the proposed all-night Tube service on London Underground will only benefit wealthy Londoners.
- ASLEF welcomes Jeremy's rail pledge
- 21 Sep 2015Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has welcomed new Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s commitment to bring Britain’s railways back into public ownership.