Work related accidents and diseases

ASLEF members regularly risk injury, their health and even their lives in the course of their duty.


Our free personal injury service means that you will have access to immediate advice and representation in seeking compensation for your injuries or for the suffering caused through a disease contracted through your work. If you've suffered injury, even mental injury as a result of trespass on the railway, such as suicide, you can be assisted with a claim to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, normally with our in-house Legal Department.


Thompsons is the biggest and most experienced personal injury law firm in the UK and your case will be handled by highly experienced lawyers.


If you are injured at work and fault or breach of legal duty can be proven you will be entitled to compensation for the pain and suffering caused and for loss of earnings.


Fault can be proven in a number of ways. For example:

  • Defective equipment
  • Inadequate safety precautions
  • Insufficient training or instructions
  • Operational system failures
  • Unsafe working practices


These are only a few examples. There are many others and even if you doubt whether the employer, infrastructure controller or anyone else was at fault you should still contact your branch in the first instance.


By way of illustration:

  • Members injured at work may have a claim against the Railtrack or LUL where the cause of the incident was the track controller's negligence, or one of their workers was at fault
  • In road traffic cases, there may be a claim against the insurers of the driver responsible for the RTA.
  • Where mental injury is sustained following a fatality on the track 


There are time limits so delays should be avoided.


For claims to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority the limit is 2 years. For other injury claims it can be 3 years (but diseases like asbestosis can often be longer). But for related employment cases like for disability or discrimination it can be as little as 3 months.


Where you are unable to return to work, the level of compensation that you will be entitled to will be calculated based upon the salary that you would have been paid until retirement and a claim can be made for a lost or reduced pension.


The families of ASLEF members can also use the service to seek compensation where a member is killed in the course of duty or dies due to industrial disease. For work related injuries you should ask your Branch Secretary for the appropriate form.


By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies. For more information please refer to ASLEF’s Privacy Policy